Sunday, May 3, 2009

A New Begining


Hi.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

I posted the last speeches on Andrea's blog a few minutes ago. Now it's time to write something here. My first thought is that I should re-title this blog "Stan-n-Jack-n-Everyone Else" because we are not alone. We continue to receive expressions of love and caring every day in a variety of forms. It makes each day a little easier and the future less daunting.

We had a nice day today, starting with a trip out to Gladstones in Malibu for breakfast, picking up Harriet on the way. I know Mother has an affinity for the ocean and she's only going to be here another day, so I'm glad we could work it in. We even had a little sunshine.

Later in the day we went to Carina Kroff's birthday party, joing a crowd of forty or so kids and adults. Jack and the kids got to use a couple slip-n-slides on the hill and play some other games. He had his own cake later, courtesy of Linda, and three moms brought him gifts as well. A couple others had cards for me, which was very thoughtful. So you see why I say
we have lots of love and support.

Mother enjoyed meeting all the adults and pinched off a little piece of strange bush to identify, thanks to a handy Sunset Western Garden Book.
She'll only be here another day, but I'm glad she could stay an extra week.
She turned 88 yesterday. They broght her a cake at Gladstones and will have another tomorrow night. The photo of Harriet and Jack at the top was taken at Gladstones while Jack colored.

I had a great night out last night, thanks to Steph and Eric. Steph provided dinner at the Indian restaurant Andrea and I liked. We even split the same item Andrea and I used to split, which caused me some tears. I recovered, though. Steph and Eric are great company. Eric and I discovered we are both crazy for the Au fond du Temple Saint duet from Bizet's "The Pearl Fishers" opera. No one else I've ever met has ever mentioned the opera, let alone the aria. After dinner we went to the auditorium at CalTech for a performance by the Capitol Steps, a group that does political satire in song. It was a thoroughly enjoyable performance and a lot of fun.

We'll have a birthday dinner for Jack Monday night, then Tuesday marks the return of real life, I guess. Just Jack and me and school and work. That's okay, though. I look forward to each day, just as I've always done. We'll see what life brings our way.
















10 comments:

  1. Eric and I had a great time, too, Stan. See you tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making this new blog Stan, I'm looking forward to keeping up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo and that you had a great night out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy Birthday Jack Brothers with the wonderful father who knows his way around a jigsaw as well as he does an opera aria (and to Eric, I can only repeat, "who ARE you?"). I wonder if I speak for everyone when I say thank you for submerging yourself so completely for our beloved Andrea and please know we love you not only for that, but for your own special youness. I will delight in "following" you and Jack on your adventures and if you want to see what gives up North, my blog is http://gardenervariety.blogspot.com/

    Always devoted,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photo. I love your writing Stan.
    I'm thinking your career path might include some professional writing again, hey? Dust off those kids books..
    Always there, love you love you both to pieces. Of plants in sunset guide,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am posting the following comments from a high school friend, Mark Bakula, who currently lives in Japan.

    "Because it had been so long since I'd seen Andrea (maybe close to 35 years), except for conveying my love via Stephanie throughout the ordeal, I'd hesitated in interjecting my 2 cents worth of comments in the "update" blog, knowing that their value, in comparison with those of the people who had shared so much more of their lives with Andrea so much more recently and were so much closer to her, especially at the end, would have been much much less than even 2 little copper Lincolns.
    But this morning, as I prepared to mail Steph, something took me back to that blog, and the speeches/comments/stories there, so overwhelming and heartfelt, forced me away from my regular work and caused me to spend all day on and off "talking" with Andrea about what I might have been able to say to her and everyone had I indeed made a contribution before this. However, I will continue to refrain from compiling that jumble of thoughts into anything coherent for others to read; my memorial to Andrea is clear and solidified here in my own heart and mind.
    Still, considering that my proposed mail to Stephanie was really just as much a message to Andrea, and thus rightly to her family as well, I've chosen this more public media.
    What I would like to convey out loud is my wish for a happy celebration of what could be considered the 1st anniversary that we encounter of her passing, the 1st generally recognized family event since that day, the commemoration of the anniversary of the birth of her son. Without Andrea and Stan, who knows where Jack's life would have led him. As it is, through them, he has been blessed with an environment based on love and caring that will, at the very least, serve to guide him in a direction of decency and in honor to her legacy.
    So, my wishes for a Happy Birthday to Jack, and my sincere congratulations to Stan, and to Andrea Brothers nee Petker, on this significant day. May the love and caring that she has left her son, her family, and all of us be a protective glow that shines on Jack throughout his life.

    ----------
    Hope you are doing okay... My love,

    Mark"

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beautiful letter from Mark. Thanks Steph.
    Missing Everyone,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've started a private Best Friends of Andrea A Brothers yahoo group. Please fwd this to all her friends and family, and this way we can let Stan move along with his recovery, called, life, and not have to steer this old ship. I'll steer with my pinky, and dark sunglasses, so we''re pretty much on our own to write our stories, post our photos, do our documentaries and discuss angel sitings, all right here is River City.

    Please join! And send to everyone ! I'll post this on a comment area on both Stan and Jacks and Andrea's blogs, and her facebook.

    Please also fill out the complete contact page so we can email, send cards, know where the heck everyone is.. Thank you

    I am hoping for a humongous photo section of Andrea's life as everyone can share it.

    Do you want the group to be listed in the Yahoo! Groups directory?
    NO, make the group unlisted.

    How can people join your group?
    People can join only with my approval.

    Who can post messages to your group?
    Only group members. (Private discussion group)

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BFOAAB

    If there are problems getting on, email me: wendy@wendywahman.com

    Title:
    Best Friends of Andrea A. Brothers
    Description:
    This is a private group for people who knew and loved Andrea A. Brothers. Our place to share our memories and reach for support and comfort when we miss our beautiful friend, sister, wife, mother, daughter. Our everything. Our best friend. Please fill out the member information in the database so we can reach other offline, and make dates for reunions to celebrate our new and old friendships, lovingly, unsparingly born of Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Gary made it to our new 'group nest!'
    I hope everyone can find their way here who wants to. Please email me for an invitation. wendy@wendywahman.com
    ALSO: Be sure to check your spam trash - cause the invite comes via Yahoo, and might be in there. I don't have a LOT of people's emails, so please do email me... even if you don't want to participate verbally in any way, it is a safe zone.. and a way to keep in touch that is not Facebook or public or anything.
    Does Harriet have email address?
    I really felt like Stan needed to drop the responsibility of being our Turn To Guy. I hope we're able to turn to this center when we need to talk or just 'see' each other. And, make lasting friendships with those who loved and were loved by Andrea.
    Love,
    Wendy

    ps Nina came to my book reading yesterday. Almost started crying seeing her, but it was also like inhaling a summer flower to see her. She wants to have us all over :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...was going to post something but after reading.....maybe another day.....talk to you soon, hope all is well. My love to you and Jack.
    Love lily and boys

    ReplyDelete