Sunday, June 7, 2009

Catalina Camping w/update





Hello, Again.

Just got back a few hours ago from a three day camping trip to Little Harbor on Catalalina Island with four other families. Jack and I had a (mostly) great time playing at the beach, hiking the geologically interesting coast, kayaking along the beautiful shore or just hanging out with friends. The beach campground is isolated, a 7 mile ride over a bumpy dirt road, but worth it. No electricity, but we still had everything we needed. The weather co-operated beautifully, though I had some misgivings when we hit heavy rain at 6:30 Friday morning when heading to San Pedro and the ferry. It soon cleared, however and couldn't have been nicer the rest of the trip. Not too hot, Not too cold. The kayaks were rented almost on an honor system, and it was my first ocean kayaking experience. What fun! I was a little nervous at first, but they are easy to paddle and stable. The surf was very mild, which helped, though the cove is pretty much protected. I may post a few more pictures later tonight. I did not take my camera out kayaking, unfortunately. I worried it might not come back, but next time I will take it.

Two girls got sick, which was unfortunate, but Nora recovered the next day and Carina only got sick the final morning. Jim and Eli dealt admirably with a nightmare situation the night Nora vomited. Most parents have done similar things, but they didn't have to take sleeping bags and clothes on a bus 7 miles. Anyway, Nora recovered quickly and I hope Carina does the same.

I say "mostly" great time because the first night there some people were partying until 2 or 3 in the morning. The ranger that sleeps in a trailer there is apparently a heavy sleeper. We think he got reemed by superiors the next day, however, and that night a sherrif's posse arrived at 10 pm and made sure all was quiet.

I especially enjoyed an attempt by the kids to make a swing. It was a challenge because we had no seat for the swing and no rope. Jim found a piece of stout cable and someone came up with the idea of putting a roll of paper towel over it and it worked just fine. The attempt started out with cotton string, but someone found some sturdier twine and a swing was born that the kids played with often.

We had wood delivered to the campsite and a good fire in the morning and evening. Yours truly brought bacon and eggs, something I rarely make at home for myself. Add in the cheese sticks, hot dogs and ribs (the first night) and forget about any cholesterol tests in the near future.

The kayaks were rented, as was a stove, tent, sleeping bag and pad. Even so, I used a folding cart, three bins and a rolling cooler to transport our gear and food. Thankfully we only had to schlep it up or down the gangplanks and a short distance to the "Safari Bus".

The kids played well together. They commandeered an unused fireplace, which provided more fun for them than I would ever have anticipated. Lots of mud/ash pie making and other activities. Kayak oars became bridges across a gully or a "raft" when tied together.

I had my shower, got the smoke out and now prepare to resume a civilized existence. I'm going to add another photo to show the rocky shoreline better. Rarely have I enjoyed the geology and rocks as much as I did there. Curt (a geologist) said that the subduction of the earth's crust was responsible.

4 comments:

  1. It was such a great time, and I'm so happy nobody got scared away
    by the prospects of a rainy weekend inside the tents. Hope we can join forces again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great descriptions, Stan. It looks beautiful there and worth the trouble to get to that beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey stan, glad you got out there and "roughed it" I am sure Jack had a great time! the Islands are beautiful and Kayaking is always amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stan,
    I haven't read your Catalina post but it looks wonderful. I have a question for you and don't have an any other way to email you. I am completing a CD (first one in 10 years!) and would like to dedicate the CD to Andrea and Carrie along with their pictures, but wanted to get your OK to use a picture of her in the CD art. And if you have a higher quality jpeg of the one used for her memorial program that would be great. At this point I am using a jpeg from the internet and it's not the best quality. Please let me know. You can email me at riskyrobin@earthlink.net. I think of Andrea often. I hope you and Jack are well.

    Love
    Jennfer
    323.222.3436

    ReplyDelete