I hope y'all got a laugh at my 55 line. Everyone always wants to look younger, feel younger, BE younger. Our society does worship looks, after all (and money). But I turned 55 yesterday and it is a little scary. It may turn out that I live to be 90 and enjoy every day; that I have a full and happy life. But in some ways the world is closing in on me slowly. How many years do I have left in which to ski, hike anytime, go anywhere, ignore physical limitations? I could be super fortunate and get thirty more years, but the chances are it will be less, even much less. I'm not complaining, just reflecting. Maybe I can use those reflections in a positive way, to spur me on a little, to remind me to enjoy everything while I can. Don't put off til tomorrow...
I made it through a back-to-school night last night without any public display of tears. It's the kind of thing Andrea would have wanted to attend so much. Like the first day of school. Oh, damn. My eyes are stinging again. I just love Jack's 1st grade teacher. Ms. LoBello. She's a very warm and outgoing soul who puts a lot into her class and who emphasizes the fun part of learning. She likes to see her kids outside of class, and goes to their soccer games, their houses for dinner, recitals, etc. She says she loves Jack and her smile seems genuine when she says it, so I think we're very lucky. She does not assign as much homework as Jack's wonderful kindergarten teacher, which I think is interesting, as well. Am I undermining the teacher when I have Jack do additional work? I will try and make it fun, also, with plenty of rewards.
On the subject of rewards, Jack has read 70 books in the last three weeks in order to get two video games he wanted (Lego Batman and Mini-Ninja). Harriet disagrees with my having him read books in order to get the video games and says he will come to dislike reading. I think he enjoys it enough that that prophesy won't happen. He laughs and enjoys many books. It's true others can be a slog at times, but I often help out when he bogs down or give him credit for two books when he reads one long one. Just to be on the safe side, the next time he has a goal in mind I will assign him tasks instead, like keeping his bedroom floor clear for two weeks, helping put away laundry or something similar. I think that setting a goal and having him work to achieve it is a good thing, but if anyone disagrees or wants to suggest limits, by all means write.
In the car today Jack said he could be a ninja because he thinks like a ninja, he "knows" like a ninja and he can make hot chocolate from a melted hot fudge sundae. As I recall, those ARE the three criteria to be a ninja, so he's in. I just forget where to send for credentials.
On the subject of video games, I did get an eye-opener of sorts last week. Jack and I occasionally play a simple online game called "Crazy Taxi." You drive a car and have to speed up, slow down, switch lanes to avoid cars or jump over them with the space bar. Turns out Jack is much better than I am. His score is double mine or more. I was amazed and a little deflated. A little proud, too, I guess.
We started playing "Connect Four" together last week, a simple variation of tic-tac-toe, really. I ended beating Jack 10 games to 6in honest competition. I'm not sure if that says good things about him, bad things about my concentration and focus or some combination of the two. Interesting, though.
Things are going well with Kellie. I enjoy sharing a little bit of life with her and appreciate her ready smile, quick laugh and many other attributes, not the least being that she thinks I'm great. I guess Sally Field and I have something in common in that we are gratified by appreciation from others, lol (think Oscar acceptance speech: "You like me; you really like me").
Off to the Old Folks Home now...
======================
Oct 1 update
Went to two orientation meetings this week, for the YMCA "Guides" program, basically a father & son (or daughter) activity thing a bit like scouting. We also went to the Tiger Scouts meeting, a pre-cub scout thing. I kind of like that too, except that they are big on uniforms, which can cost a $100 bucks and may be outgrown all too soon. I'll have a look on Ebay.
Jack beat me 3 to 2 at Connect Four last night. A legitimate contest, too.
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment