Hello Again.
So many things to write about I hardly know where to start. I'm writing this at 4 am at the home of a client and friend who is away with family for the month of August. Why are we not at home? Because I sold it. Escrow closed on July 30 and now a young couple with a 13-year-old daughter live there. They are happy to have the house, which makes me feel good. Fixing up the house, painting it, putting on a new roof (done by others), making all the repairs neccessary has been a strain. Moving was a bitch, too. So much stuff. I ended up renting a garage, two 10x10 storage spaces and used a third of Joyce's garage. All in all, I'd say the last three months were some of the most stressful in my life. Working on the fishing boat, sleeping six hours every other night was less stressful, believe it or not. So many decisions, things to do, indecision, questions, doubts, hard work, keeping Jack engaged and happy ..it all adds up (more about Jack later).
I did sell the house myself, thanks in part to a company which will put your house in the Multiple Listing Service for $99. I had consulted two realtors beforehand with the understanding that one of them would have the contract to sell the house if I could not in two weeks. So I had their input on price, which was very much in line with what I was thinking. In one case, the exact same price. I had a fair deal of interest right from the start and ended up accepting an offer $20k over asking two days after listing the place. Given the vagaries of the real estate market, the economy and quirky home loan situation, I accepted quickly and happily and continued to accept back-up offers. Knowing that so many people liked the house was gratifying, as I had changed every room in some way, sometimes with Andrea's input, but more often just her blessing.
I put in an offer on a house in La Crescenta which was accepted yesterday. It's in a nice location high in the hills, has a view and a pool. Jack is crazy about swimming, so I really wanted a house with a pool. The kitchen is a disaster, and the bathrooms need some work, as does the pool, but I hope to fix all that in the next year. My lender has okayed me for the money I seek, so I think everything is in order there, but I'm sure I will have to jump through a hoop or two. Plus we'll see how it appraises. Lots of work to do, and I will also have to pare down my possessions as this house has far less storage space. That could be a good thing, though. I'm not emotionally attached to that many possessions. I sold or gave away a ton of stuff at a big garage sale, too. It will be interesting. I'll post some pictures next month.
Before moving on to Jack, I'll briefly sum up our July vacation in Central New York and Massachusetts. The timing was awful, but mother has some dementia and not seeing her at this time was not an option. She was happy to us and accompany us to Rich's Island and sister Liz's "farm" in Western Massachusetts. Mother was usually in the moment--or seemed that way--but would forget a lot of whatever happened quickly. I shall never forget something that occurred on the night we ventured out by boat to brother Rich's island in the St. Lawrence River. We thought the rain had passed, so we started a fire for marshmallow roasting and general warmth, but soon the heavens let forth. We were caught in a downpour, and not well prepared. Our umbrellas turned inside out in the wind and we headed back to the mainland in a drenching rain. Mother laughed all the way. No complaints, no whining, just whoops of laughter every minute or so. Quintessential...Mother.
Jack was good, too, and did not complain about the rain. He got to swim and fish the next day, which was sunny and warm. He loved playing with French cousins Odile and Leonore while in Massachsetts. They are 7 and 5 (I think) and total dolls. In Rome he swam every day at the Y or a municipal wading pool across the street from mother's house. Jack travels well as long as he can have access to his DS and the hope of an occasional ice cream. I just loved traveling the back roads of New York and never tire of green vistas, small towns and farms. Not in a two-week period, anyway.
I did get to see old friend Dave Dick (now Dave Leigh)and went to the Floyd Firemen's Field Days with his wife and daughter, which was a treat. I had hoped to see others, and talked about a dinner with school friends, but the timing was not right this trip and I also returned a night earlier than expected. Dave was actually going to a memorial service for his Dad the night we left. His dad was a wonderful guy and I'm sorry to have missed the service. Mom June seems to be doing well. They were a wonderful, loving couple; great parents and great people whom I admired and who influenced me in many ways on the subject of love and marriage.
Jack is happily back in Y camp this summer, although next week he goes to Science Camp for a week. He is fine with the move, swims nightly at the home we are staying at for August and is his usual happy self. I think he will adjust to a new school just fine. He makes friends quickly. We can continue play dates with old friends, too, which will help the transition. I hope there's some kids in the new neighborhood to play with and will check with neighbors asap.
I have not had much of a social life lately, but I am catching up thanks to Match.com, which I strongly suspect works much better for middle-aged guys than middle-aged women.
Off to lunch, then to meet my real estate agent at the house for another visit and photos. I haven't covered all the ground of the last few months, but it's a start.
Best...
Friday, August 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so thrilled that they accepted your offer! I can't wait to see inside the house beyond the online pictures. When do you close escrow?
ReplyDeleteStan,
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear you and Jack are doing well and I wish you all the best. I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch since Andrea passed away. I really miss you two and the times we spent together.
I myself have just returned after an absolutely awful year in Portland. Wet, cold, gray and depressing weather is not a good environment for a bipolar patient. So I just moved back to Thousand Oaks to start over again. If you think of it send me an email: memikenis@hotmail.com
Again, good to hear you're doing well.
Best,
Mary Ellen
Hey Stan
ReplyDeleteWas thinking about you and decided to read your blog. Wow, can't believe how quickly you sold and bought a new house. And a pool. I'm sure you'll be good with doing the work there. And so glad Jack is doing well and still liking camp - my girls and I grew up on day camp, the best.
Love to him and you. Send me your new address and phone