Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Better Late Than...



Hello.

Gosh, it was a busy week. Lots catching up with work, doing things around the house, keeping Jack occupied and happy, trying to find time for the Y, the blog (didn't!), bill paying, house cleaning, etc. It really brought home the Single Parent Household concept and the finality of the idea that if I don't do it, it absolutely, positively will not get done. There is no back-up, which is sobering. Being an early riser, I can't even imagine watching television in the evening as I am ready for bed the same time Jack is. Or before!

We did have an enjoyable break on Saturday for Olivia's graduation from Pitzer, which was great. The main commencement speaker, a writer/comedian was a huge hit, trashing Republicans mercilessly, which went over very well at this liberal college. Lunch and cake at Olivia's rented house afterward. I found out that one of her roomates was the daughter of an old boss. Who knew? What other connections am I unaware of? We took Jack to the Kid's Klub beforehand, to save him from the boredom of the ceremony (and make it easier on us). He protested, but predictably protested again when I arrived to pick him up and he was having a great time. Can't win. [ See graduation video below, BTW]

Gary was here for four days while he took a course with an old Improv teacher. He's actually better than the teacher and helped out with the class.
Jack asked him if he wanted to become part of our family, which was very amusing.

What was not amusing was when Jack and I had a heart-to-heart yesterday . I went to the garage for 60 seconds and told him to wait in the car. He didn't, and came looking for me after 45 seconds, it seemed. I asked him why, and he said he thought I would disappear. "Like Mommy disappeared", I asked, and he said "yes". Hmmm. I reassured him I wasn't going anywhere, but who knows if it really sunk in?

Being on Match is time-consuming and a distraction/compulsion. I still haven't met anyone in person, but I will soon, no doubt. Two women whom I was exchanging emails with seemed to vanish after I suggested coffee sometime. Another "Hmm?" there. I'm meeting a former colleague from KCET tomorrow for coffee, but it's as much to catch up as it is a "meet". Lots of very decent women out there, I must say. When in our evolution did we change from wanting to mate with the opposite sex to wanting to mate with a tall/successful/attractive/blonde/whatever? How are we different from our forebears a 50/100/150 years ago in what we seek? Where will this obsession with looks take us in a 100 years? 500? Anyway, it's hard not to check in every day and see who emailed me, who looked at my profile, who might be out there. My profile has been viewed 333 times as of 6 this morning. Who have I rejected? Well, very few and very politely. Who has rejected me? If you count emails unresponded to, a dozen. Stay tuned.

Jack is up now and hungry, so I will leave you.

Best...

























2 comments:

  1. Yay, Olivia! Congratulations on your huge accomplishment. Somehow a vision of Andrea doing the Arsenio Hall Arm pump, accompanied by the vocal whoo, whoo, whoo, popped into my head.:o)

    Spread those wings and fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan: You do your camera justice...another incredible picture of Jack.

    ReplyDelete